Yesterday, I wrote about the symptoms you experience when burnout is creeping in. Today, I want to share my basic tips to avoid these symptoms from escalating.
It’s challenging to stop falling into the rabbit hole of never-ending negative physical and mental feelings, but the sooner you take action, the better and the easier it is.
Pat yourself on the back if possible. If you are not flexible enough, ask a loved one to help you or find help online, there are ways to find accountability, or coaching services, including on our website, if you don’t want to be alone in this.
Once again today, I will make it short and straight to the point. This article is supposed to be helpful, not a piece of literary exercise. So read, take notes, but mainly take action!
The classic steps to take
- Exercise (I walked out my burnout, it was not easy, but it worked). Burnout feels like it’s poisoning your body as much as your mind. Moving helps get the poison out.
- Fresh air because staying inside is not healthy, except when you have hay fever during springtime. But even so, you should make arrangements to be able to take some fresh air better more often than less, if you want my opinion.
- Distraction, if it’s a healthy distraction. Digital distraction is not healthy. Caring for someone, a pet, a garden, or plants is a healthy distraction. You can also choose to volunteer, a new hobby; pottery involves touch, a powerful distraction. Photography is somewhat immersive too.
- Diet, of course, I had to mention this one because the most accessible derivative when burnout starts to creep in is unhealthy food and beverages. Then it can rapidly become a new addictive behaviour. Drink a lot of water, eat homemade food (fresh and whole foods). Avoid fried food, refined flour and sugar, or any processed food in general.
The unusual steps to take:
- Read and watch positive show only. Be very selective about what you consume on the internet, on TV or when reading. Choose light, easy reads, joyful even! Choose wisely and forget, for a time, world news. Don’t worry; the world will keep spinning even without you watching! The last thing you want is to…